Give me guacamole and tacos any day of the week and I'm one happy girl. Some may say it's because my husband is half Mexican. But what's a girl to do when she just loves tacos? Especially these tacos ... they taste like they're straight off of a food truck.
I promise you'll love them and it's all my favorites combined.
Fresh lime juice + cilantro + guacamole + corn tortillas!
All topped with a delicious salsa verde sauce. The sauce takes about 45 minutes to make but it's extremely low maintenance. You'll want to start it first and then while you let it simmer away and reduce, you can make the guacamole and chop everything else for the tacos. You may even have some time to cleanup before you dig in for dinner.
Vegetarian Taco Truck Tacos
Ingredients (Serves 4 (about 3-4 tacos each)
- 28 ounces of Goya salsa verde
- 1.5 cups of veggie stock
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced finely (2 will make the sauce SPICY)
- white onion, diced
- 4-5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 4 avocados
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4-5 limes
- 6 inch corn tortillas (we Mission White Corn Tortillas and buy the 30 pack)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan and briefly saute the jalapenos for 30 seconds while stirring frequently.
2. Add the salsa verde and let cook at a low boil for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer (still want to see bubbles!) and reduce it for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally and the sauce should be thick and coat the back of a spoon when its done.
4. While the sauce simmers, core and scoop the avocados into a bowl and mash with the juice of 2 limes before adding the red onions and salt to taste. Add more lime juice if needed.
5. Prepare the rest of the toppings by dicing the tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, and cutting wedges of lime.
6. When the sauce is done and you are ready to eat, brush the tortillas lightly with oil and heat in a pan until slightly crisp. We usually end up making rounds of tacos so we can have fresh and hot tortillas. My mom used to wrap them in a damp towel, zap them in the microwave, and then keep them warm in foil which does the trick if you are feeding a crowd (although you won't get that crisp in the microwave).
7. Assemble the tacos by layering two tortillas and then topping them with guacamole, white onions, cilantro, a spoonful of sauce, and then with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Your tacos will probably break some if you only use one tortilla and two's the way to go.
Powered by Recipage