Vacation in Chicago: The City (Part 1)


Monday, August 20 -



Life has been incredibly busy for us. I feel a little bit like a broken record say that, but, between Adam's year around graduate school classes and both of us working full time it seems like we are constantly trying to play catchup with chores, spending time with family, etc. He finally had a small break from classes and we forced ourselves to book a mini vacation to Chicago. I say forced because we almost skipped it all together to save money until we realized we absolutely had to get out of town.


It turned out to be a fabulous decision and we really really really needed to disconnect and take time for just the two of us. It quickly became our "eat and sleep" trip because our only plans were to eat at restaurants we've been dying to try and to rest.

We left DC on Thursday and after a very frustrating couple hour flight delay we finally made it to Chicago!!



We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and decided on the fly what we wanted to do each day. I seriously regret not bringing my real camera and tried to capture our trip with my Iphone.


My two favorite non-food highlights (don't worry, there is an entire separate post coming on just the food) were our run through Millennium park and along the water and then the architechurte boat tour of the city.

It's a bit odd for me to pick a workout as a trip highlight. I always pack workout gear when I travel and it almost always stays tucked away neatly in my suitcase. Good intentions count, right? I had no excuses in Chicago though since we ate our way through the city and I also needed to finish my first week of training for the Army 10 miler. We began our run Saturday morning in Millennium Park with a quick pit stop at the bean before heading to the waterfront.



The waterfront far exceeded my expectations and it was one of the most beautiful runs of my life. The path was filled with bikers and runners and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I only needed to run 2 miles but ended up running 3.5 to take it all in. Incredibly beautiful and motivating to run along while seeing a different side of Chicago. 





The building architecture in Chicago is equally as stunning as the peaceful waterfront. Several people recommended we take an architecture boat tour of the city and I completely understand why now. It's a great city to walk around in but when you take a step back and enjoy the buildings you gain a completely different appreciation for the city and skyline. The 90 minute Chicago Line Cruises boat tour was full of interesting facts and rich with history.

Although completely by accident, we couldn't have planned the timing of our boat tour any better. We went at noon on Saturday and it was right in the middle of Chicago's air and water show. We relaxed on the boat while different fighter planes circled the city showing their off their speed and agility.

Photo by Adam.



By Adam.
By Debbie.




Check back in for The Food (Part 2)!




2 comments:

Liz said... [Reply to comment]

I LOVE Chicago. I went back in June for a work conference, and complete fell in love with the city. Dare I say, I think Chicago beats NYC when it comes to architecture. I was totally caught off guard as to how awesome the city is. I'm glad you and Adam had such a great time and "forced" yourselves to get away from the hustle and bustle. Kav and I did the same last weekend, and it was sooo worth it. Can't wait for the food post :)

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Liz!!! So good to hear from you :) :) I've been so excited too to see your blog posts pick up :). I loved loved loved Chicago and I need to go back to NYC to compare. They are so different!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...