Grilled Portabella Burgers


Wednesday, August 8 -



How gorgeous are these portabella mushrooms? Love. But they ain't just for lookin' ... they make incredible burgers. Burgers that could convert a meat eater or two.




Last night we got together with Adam's dad to grill out and watch last weekend's episode of The Newsroom. Anyone else watch that show? I decided to give it a try on night and before I knew it I was hooked. After the first one, I curled up on the couch and let's just pretend I didn't watch every single past episode in one sitting (because I actually did! It was wonderful.). It's fast paced, witty, and the love triangle thrown in there doesn't hurt one bit.



On the menu for me was the grilled portabella burger and it's seriously so incredibly simple I don't how I haven't made it a million times before.

All you need to do is stem the mushroom and wipe it down with a clean damp cloth. Then coat it in a thin layer of olive oil, salt, and pepper and grill it for about 5-8 minutes on each side. I like to grill the underside first (the part you pull the stem out of) and then finish it with the top down on the grill. This way, all the juices collect in the cap of the mushroom and you can melt cheese on top to lock in the flavors.

I topped my burger with sharp white cheddar and a swirl of mustard on a toasted sesame seed bun.


On the menu for the men was beef burgers topped with bacon. Adam visited a small butcher shop and had them freshly grind 8 ounces of sirloin with 8 ounces of chuck. You don't need much with good meat and he just added salt and pepper to bump up the flavor.


On the side was grilled corn on the cob (husks and all) smothered in garlic butter.



Oh, and did I mentioned Adam completely prepped dinner and grilled it all? I'm not ashamed one bit to proclaim him as the griller in the family.

We all cleaned our plates it was so delicious!



Only problem with taking pictures? I forget to get in them!





2 comments:

Tracy's Living Cookbook said... [Reply to comment]

Your burger looks great! I always forget about grilling an entire mushroom as a burger - just might have to try it! I have a few excellent veggie/vegan burgers on my blog, in case you are looking for some ideas.

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Tracy! I'm always looking for veggie burger ideas ... I'll check it out!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...