The first time I ever experienced buffalo mozzarella was during the summer of 2007. A couple girlfriends and I spent a month backpacking across Europe to celebrate graduating college. We were in an open market in Venice when another American traveler bursted out of a small market and proclaimed she had the best cheese ever in her life. She insisted we just had to go inside and ask for the buffalo mozzarella. How could we resist her endorsement? We wandered inside, found the cheese counter, and ordered the buffalo mozzarella. The next couple minutes of my life were incredible. The cheese was soft and creamy and I had to force myself to stop and savor every bite.
|The girls in Venice 2007.|
I've never found a buffalo mozzarella cheese in the States equal to the Venetian cheese we had that day. It was that good. Regardless, I've come to find buffalo mozzarella is delicious anywhere and elevates regular mozzarella (which I still love!) to a new level.
This Buffalo Mozzarella Pesto sandwich is simple and satisfying. Freshly baked sourdough bread topped with pesto, sliced tomatoes, and buffalo mozzarella. With few ingredients, it's really worth buying quality ingredients and you'll have an incredible sandwich.
Buffalo Mozzarella and Pesto Sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: lunch vegetarian sandwich sourdough bread pesto buffalo mozzarella
Ingredients (4 Sandwiches)
- 1 buffalo mozzarella ball (ovaline size, 9 ounces), sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced and seeds removed
- pesto (make it or buy your favorite!)
- 8 slices good bread (I like using sourdough, also tastes good slightly toasted!)
1. Cover each slice of bread with a layer of pesto.
2. Layer on tomatoes and cheese on 4 pieces of bread.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with the other slices of bread.
Powered by Recipage