The Real Deal Mac and Cheese


Sunday, November 20 -



This mac and cheese is the real deal. You only need a couple ingredients: butter, cream, milk, cheese. Well, and salt, pepper, and flour ... but those aren't as exciting.

I needed to make the mac and cheese for a get together and quadrupling the recipe called for 8 cups of shredded cheese. I decided to splurge on some cheddar cheese from a local cheese shop, Cheesetique, and bought WAY to much cheese. The guy at the cheese shop recommended 4 lbs of cheese and I
knew that had to be wayyyyyyyy off. I ended up buying 3 lbs just to safe and I figured the cheese guy has got to know what he's taking about and I was quadrupling the recipe.

Yea, I only needed about 1.3 lbs. 

Good thing cheese is one of my favorite things in the world and I can justify putting it on about anything. 



But seriously, this Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Mac and Cheese is awesome. I found it a couple years ago and have been making it ever since. It's so delicious I've never really thought to make or even look for a different one. 

The homemade sauce is worth every second of your time.You literally have to whisk the bechamel sauce for 12 minutes straight. It's such a good arm workout you could honestly skip the gym for the day.  The cheese sauce comes out creamy and then you top the mac with lightly buttered breadcrumbs before you bake and brown it in the oven. I use less bread crumbs then the recipe calls for because I want to really taste all the gooey cheesy wonderfulness. 

It's a crowd pleaser and total comfort food. 




And, how beautiful is this plate?? My cousin Melissa and her fiance Ethan gave it to us as part of our wedding gift. They taught in Spain for a year the plate was handmade in Granada. They also gave us a tapas cookbook with the plate .... such a fun idea!





5 comments:

Eatingkeatings said... [Reply to comment]

Looks delicious!

Sandra's Easy Cooking said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my goodness..I am craving it now!:))) Got to go and sleep and stop looking at the food blogs before bed:)) 
Looks absolutely delicious!!!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

 Thanks!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

 Thank you Sandra!!

Emily said... [Reply to comment]

YUMMMM, this was delicious!!!  And I LOVE the plate, so pretty!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...