Race Recap and Some Turkey Day


Friday, November 25 -



First, I am so excited to be able to post a race recap. I ran my first race ever yesterday with Adam and it's an incredible feeling to have completed one.  My first post race shot is above!

We ran the Alexandria 5 mile Turkey Trot and over 5,000 runners came out to run and support ALIVE. They asked runners to bring canned goods and I raided our cabinets for the cans that probably wouldn't see the light of day in our kitchen. There's no sense for them to just sit there when someone else could really use them.




We were lucky that we could walk/jog to the race start and it was a good way to wake up and get warmed up. The race began at 10 am which I know is late for races but perfect for a first time newbie who isn't used to running in the am.

I had no clue how I would do at a race and our goal was to try to run at least a 10 minute mile which is a good longer run pace for me.  Adam runs much faster but planned to stick through the whole race with me at my pace.

Here we are right before heading out for the run!



I was surprised I didn't get too nervous when we lined up to start the run. I actually got really emotional and happy to be out there with Adam and all the other runners. It was such an incredible high to see everyone excited and ready to go. I mean it when I say I couldn't have done the run without Adam and it was such a big moment for me and us to complete my first run together as newlyweds. We really want to commit to staying active and healthy together and I can't think of a better way to kick off our first Thanksgiving as a family.

The race started off slow and there were a lot of strollers and dogs at first. About halfway through the run the spacing started to thin out and there was more room to set our own pace and run. Around mile 3 I started to struggle and hit a mild mental barrier. There was an adorable women cheering on all the runners and she seemed so incredibly happy for each and every person out there. She reminded me of my mom with her joy for everyone and it was exactly what I needed to see to push through that mental barrier and tackle those last two miles.

Right before the finish line there was a small hill that seemed like it would never end. Once we got to the top there was actually a guy smoking a cigar on the side of the road. How rude!! It smelled horrible and was the last thing we all needed to smell on the last stretch. We picked up the pace to finish and it was such a cool and incredible moment to cross the finish line for the first time.

I keep thinking: We did it. I really did it. 

And what's even better? We finished under 10 minute miles which was huge for me! They haven't posted the final race times but Adam's GPS running watch clocked us at just over 5 miles and under 48 minutes!

We arrived back at the house for a little down time and here are our post race shots!





After relaxing we headed off to my Mom and Dad's for the first round of Turkey day! Round two was at Adam's mom and stepdad's house.


Thanksgiving day to be continued ....






9 comments:

Kristen Siler said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats, Debbie!  I am so proud of you!!  I got a little emotional reading your post.. Ha!  I guess that is what you and I do.. We get emotional over each others stories!  You rock at everything you do, so I can't say I am surprised you beat your goal!!

Rebecca said... [Reply to comment]

awe...how exciting!!! i couldn't convince the bf to run this year, I'm still semi-bummed about it.

hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Kristen!! I even get emotional over your comments ;) hehehe

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Hopefully he will change his mind!!

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

I love seeing the pics of you two! Lol, this made me tear up as well. What is next?

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

We are going to look for a run in Jan! Eeekk!!

Fresh and Foodie said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations on your first race! 

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you!! :)

Simply Life said... [Reply to comment]

CONGRATULATIONS!!! There's something about races that makes all the training and effort worth it! :)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...