Advice for Wedding Planning


Wednesday, November 2 -


Our immediate families couldn't all fit in one pic!

I've heard it a million times: planning a wedding is a ton of work.

I believed people when they said it but I didn't fully understand what they meant until I planned our wedding. So I'll say it too. Planning a wedding is a lot of work and it's like having a second job. You will be stressed and continually create to do lists (it's ok some won't be completed!). We had to make a million small decisions and many really big ones that affected every aspect of the wedding. There were
so many decisions that, some days, I wanted to scream and never have to make another decision again! I know Adam felt the same way especially after hours of studying when I just had to know what he thought of this one particular idea.

With so many decisions to make I got really nervous that everything wouldn't come together the day of the wedding. It seemed like October 8th would never get here and surprisingly, it came very quickly. It was easy to fall into the planning mode/zone and forget to come up for air. 

Despite the stress and decisions it was all worth it. Every single detail and moment. 


I'm fortunate that a couple close friends recently planned their own weddings and they gave incredible support and advice. You learn what's worth stressing about and also what doesn't matter and you need to let go for your own sanity. You also learn that everyone has an opinion and you need to do what is best for you. 

11 Pieces of Advice for Planning a Wedding

1. One of the most invaluable planning tools is good advice and recommendations from people you trust. Although this really applies to more than just weddings, it's something I really experienced first hand while planning. Your friends will point you in the right direction when you are stressed and it's worth seriously considering people's recommendations for good and reliable vendors. It will make your life easier and significantly cut back on the time you spend researching. I ended up booking the same florist as a friend and I couldn't have been happier to end my search for a florist and I loved the flowers.

2. Stay organized from the beginning! I can't tell you how many articles I read and sites I visited when I first started planning our wedding. There is so much information out there and it's crucial to get organized from the beginning. You can look up wedding ideas galore but I found keeping it simple and staying organized made my life so much easier and better during the planning.

3. Book vendors you trust and feel comfortable around. Again, seems like a no brainer but I really think it is crucial. Not only to you want to book people that deliver great services you also want to book someone who makes you feel comfortable. They are going to be the ones you rely on to make the wedding work and if they stress you out during the planning I guarantee they will add stress your wedding weekend.

4. You are the customer and deserve great service no matter your budget. I ran into some rude vendors which I found absolutely astounding. I had a horrible dress experience and some people in the wedding industry became snarky when I wasn't willing to just pay anything (i.e. lots of $$$) just because I was getting married. In my opinion, when you are paying (especially a good chunk of change) someone should provide that best services to you, period. Don't demand any less!!

5. Book an engagement session with your photographer.  Adam and I felt really awkward about engagement photos and were considering skipping them all together. We were sure what we'd do with the pictures, we didn't want them to be cheesy, and we aren't too into PDA. I am so incredibly happy we ended up scheduling an engagement photo session with our photographer for two reasons. First, I absolutely love having the pictures and they are really fun to have post wedding. Secondly, and very importantly, we got to know our photographer and she got to know us. We felt extremely comfortable with her on the wedding day and taking all the wedding pictures was a breeze. There were no nerves or awkwardness and I really think having already worked with her for the engagement session made a big difference.

6. Something won't go as planned. You make your wedding and it will be perfect no matter what happens (or doesn't happen). In the end, details are just details and your happiness sets the tone for the day.

7. Give your bridal party your phone and all the vendor confirmations on your wedding weekend. This was an amazing piece of advice from my bridesmaid Emily. You've already planned enough and your only job come the wedding weekend is to relax and enjoy yourself. Your maid of honor or bridesmaid can answer any calls from vendors and family members who have last minute questions.

8. Be a guest at your own wedding. I received this advice randomly but it made me stop, think, and make enjoying our own wedding day a priority. It seems silly to say since you are the bride and groom, but really, when you are in the planning mode you can forget that the wedding is about you having a great time. You deserve to sit back, relax, and take in the celebration.

9. Give yourself a break. The wedding day will be incredibly busy and you will be surrounded by people. Make sure you have some time, even if 15 minutes, to just take it all in and be together. Once the reception starts it will be hard to have a moment for just you two. Adam and I snuck away from everyone for a couple minutes and ended up telling each other how happy we were and what we loved about the day. I will never forget it and it will be one of my favorite moments forever.

10. Eat dinner! Adam and I were so busy talking to people that we completely missed eating our meals! We were able to eat our salads but then were up and about during the main course.

11.  Make your guests feel welcomeThis isn't about spending money or organizing crazy events for your guests. Let people know you are happy they came and enjoy sharing your happiness with them. People always remember how they felt. 







11 comments:

cwbullets said... [Reply to comment]

12. Have great relatives and friends to celebrate with you.

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Absolutely!!! The wedding would have been the same :)

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

Hee hee, is number six referencing the whole "i could not get the rental car to drive" bit?

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

That's too funny because I completely forgot about that while writing the post!! Perfect example though cause it didn't make a difference and is a good story!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

That's too funny because I completely forgot about that while writing the post!! Perfect example though ... it didn't make a difference and its a great story!!

Rebecca said... [Reply to comment]

what great advice i cant wait to put to use!

Suzanne C. said... [Reply to comment]

Nice tips, I may need to use these soon ;) 

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

 ;) ;)

Elle H said... [Reply to comment]

Excellent advice! I'm going to share it with another good friend of mine who is planning a wedding for next year. :)

Eingalls33 said... [Reply to comment]

great advice!  What a beautiful wedding!!! The rental car was definitely a funny memory for me :)

Kathleencarosi said... [Reply to comment]

so happy for you, sent this on to a friend getting married this summer. You and Judy have a gift of writing.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...