Black Bean Burgers for a Meatless March


Monday, March 28 -







It's been a meatless March for the fiance. Let me repeat. The meat and potatoes fiance has not had a single piece of meat this entire month of March. In fact, a group of our friends joined him and it's been a meatless March for several people (there's even a meatless March support group!).

Although it's been fun, vegetarianism isn't his cup of tea. He plans to celebrate with meat April 1 and even conjured up some ideas for a "Meat and Greet" party for his return. I'm incredibly proud of him for completing a whole month and although I'm a vegetarian, I think it is extremely important each person is in control of what and how they to eat. I would never force vegetarianism on anyone and it's a choice I've made for myself. There's more than one way of achieving a healthy and balanced diet.

I love veggie sandwiches but sometimes miss that satisfying feeling of digging into a hearty burger. Sometimes you just want a bun, messy toppings, and something substantial to bite into. It's also something the fiance has come to miss this past month and I followed the lead of another meatless Marcher, Lauren, and made her black bean burgers to fill the craving. These burgers are a tasty and hearty solution for vegetarians and her garlic aioli makes this a well rounded dish. I served mine with kale chips (that post is on its way) and plan to make these again.

Lauren's Black Bean Burgers with Garlic Aioli
Serves 4-6 (makes 6 burgers, halved the original recipe and made very minor changes)

Ingredients
burger base
1 can black beans
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 egg (used about 1/2 to 2/3 beaten egg)
1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for cooking

burger binders
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup cilantro

garlic aioli
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon old bay
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 cup mayonnaise (used light mayonnaise)

Directions
Making the Burger Patties


1. Combine the garlic aioli ingredients and stick it in the fridge.



2. Toss the onions, red peppers, and green peppers with olive oil, salt, and pepper before throwing them on the foreman grill (no grill? give them a quick saute at a medium-high temperature to get some char marks.). Grill until the veggies have grill marks and soften slightly (still want them somewhat crisp).




3. Let the veggies cool some, give them a rough chop and toss them in a food processor with the remaining burger base ingredients. Pulse to combine and make sure to leave it chunky and not pureed (otherwise your burgers will fall apart!).




4. Stick the burger base in the fridge for 30 mins to an hour (I did 2 hours).

5. Combine the burger base with the binder ingredients and form into 6 patties before sticking back in the fridge for another 30 mins to an hour (I did 2 hours).


Time to Eat
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan and brown the patties on both sides (4-6 mins on each side). You want a nice dark golden brown on each side. I flattened the patties from the pics above a little more before I cooked them so they would heat through and brown evenly.

2. Spread the garlic aioli on whole wheat buns and top with cheese (pepper jack on the second night = yum), tomatoes, avocados, and lettuce.





Notes: I recommend making the garlic aioli before hand and letting the flavors sit together in the fridge. To make things easier, I prepared the burgers in the morning and cooked them up for dinner that night. They held over well in the fridge till the next day too when I cooked up the second half. Haven't tried freezing them yet, but Lauren say's they freeze well.

And ... my new nephew is due in a couple of days!!




12 comments:

Fresh and Foodie said... [Reply to comment]

Yummy! I love black bean burgers. Your toppings are awesome, too. Nice!

Courtney L. said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful photos! The recipe looks and sounds amazing.
I admire your husband for trying a vegetarian diet during March. And what a fun idea: Meat & Greet. I love it! :)

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

It looks great! Nicely done and makes summer seem right around the corner. Is it bad that I want to go eat a bacon cheeseburger? Don't tell Adam.

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

That's great!! I won't tell ;)

Nicole St. John said... [Reply to comment]

Those sound SO good!

Rebecca said... [Reply to comment]

ooohhh...I wish the bf would try go meatless for a month..I try to cook vegetarian one night and another night fish and oh my gawd...you'd think we'd go meatless all month! he can be such a baby...;)

I'll definitely have to try this recipe though...it looks delish!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you!! I thought it was very clever of him and I hope he doesn't get sick the first time he eats meat!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Nicole!! :)

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

It so simple and really good! Guys can be too funny about food! ;) ;)

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks! Feel free to pass along any other good black bean burger recipes!! :)

Branappetit said... [Reply to comment]

those look great!

Simply Life said... [Reply to comment]

This looks incredible and perfect for a meat-lover or vegetarian!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...