I'm a Plant Momma! & Thoughts on Last Winter


Saturday, February 26 -



So I have a confession to make. I'm a pretty bad plant mother.

I forget they are there, never know how much to water they need, and don't know a thing about soil. I always want to buy them or grow herb pots but decide against it when I think of my green thumb.

But not this plant. I have successfully kept it alive for over a year now and am proud of myself!! I attribute it in part to the plant's low maintenance and also to the fact the plant holds a little piece of my heart.




Last winter, both my grandmothers passed away within weeks of each other and it was a difficult winter for many reasons. Two close friends gave me the plant when my first grandma, affectionately known as GMA or G-Dog, passed away last January. When my second grandmother passed away several weeks later, they both were sweethearts to me and I knew this plant was going to make it in my home.

GMA lived with my family for 11 years before she passed away and added some spice, good times, and hard times to growing up. She was an excellent baker (her blueberry cobbler was out of this world) and a sharp cribbage player. She gave in to her grandkids and sang ridiculous tunes that made us laugh and had a way of throwing old fashioned sayings into everyday life. Some have stuck with me even though I have no clue what they mean, lol. She also suffered from severe depression and later was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The kids helped babysit her at times and the real burden and labor of love fell on my mom.


Throw back picture of a high school dance!
The day GMA passed we almost lost my nephew Liam too. He fortunately was at the hospital for a doctor's appointment and the doctors stepped in swiftly when he coded. This all happened the same hour GMA passed away and I don't think I can still explain the fear, loss, and relief I felt in those moments. I wanted to hold everyone I loved and never let anything else change in my life.


But life changes anyway, we have no control.

It changed again for me and my family when my Grandma Booma passed away just a couple weeks later. She was a sweet hearted southern belle with undying love for her grandkids and my grandpa. She painted incredible New England landscapes and I could listen to her stories while sipping lemonade on her porch for hours.





3 comments:

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

Awwww....such a sweet post. It is hard to believe that it has been over a year:( G-dog did tend to cheat a bit in cribbage. Lol. I miss the smiles gram would give....The plant looks great!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Judy! It felt really good to write and I can't believe it's been a year. So crazy! She SO cheated .... hehehe

Lizlewis27 said... [Reply to comment]

Glad to see your plant is still kickin :) I miss you!!!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...