Hip Parsnips


Saturday, February 12 -




About a year ago I had no clue what parsnips were and didn't appreciate their flavor. They now have an open invitation to my soup pot and until recently it hadn't occurred to me to use them for anything else.
So what to do when I needed one for a recipe and could only buy them in a bag full of parsnips? Well, it just so happens a friend commented on my blog and passed along a good tip for parsnips.













This is so simple and absolutely delicious. After cooking for 10 minutes, the parsnips soften up and take on a gnocchi like texture. I recommend giving it a try and eating them piping hot off the stove. If making them for a couple people, you will need a good handful of parsnips. All those parsnips in my pics? Yep, ate them all myself.

So what the heck are parsnips anyway?

They are root vegetables related to the carrot and they have a sweeter taste when cooked. Interestingly, parsnips have to be grown in cooler climates. Frost is critical to developing their flavor (thanks Wikipedia) because the cold converts the starch into sugar (source). Oh, and they are rich in vitamins and minerals too!




3 comments:

Abbie Hayden said... [Reply to comment]

I LOVE parsnips! In more or less every form... spicy parsnip soup, honey-roasted or cooked in a dash of butter... they are divine! Every year for Christmas dinner my grandparents bring their home grown parsnip and they are the best part of the meal!! :D

Sommer Collier said... [Reply to comment]

We had roasted parsnips and golden beets last night for dinner....MMMM!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks! I def. recommend trying them! I am picking up more this weekend :).

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...