Ghee Golly Good


Sunday, February 20 -



Recently, I've come across quite a few vegetarian recipes calling for Ghee (Indian clarified butter) and I'm intrigued to try it. So, another trip to the Indian Mart and a new purchase for me! If you are looking for cheap spices, rice, and some great frozen naan, Indian grocery stores are packed with great deals.

From everything I've read, clarified butter seems the way to go in some dishes. It has a more intense butter flavor (yum) and a higher heating point than regular butter. Too bad it is also packed with calories and I can't use it by the spoonful. I've have toasted my quinoa and rice with it (oh my!) and I need to
stick my nose in some cookbooks to pick my first official Ghee recipe.




Do you ever use clarified butter? Is it hard to make on your own?! Now that I have the Ghee, it hit me that in many cooking shows, restaurants use ladles of clarified butter! That seems a little extreme and no wonder eating out can be so fattening!


5 comments:

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

Tastes so good! Scramble your eggs in it and you will never go back. One tbsp has 135 calories and 15 g of fat. So, it is not that different if you treat in the same way that you would with butter or oil during cooking. It is definitely worth the extra 15 calories. Restaurants love to pile anything on that makes it taste more yummy, but we have found that it is easy to use ghee a lot at home and not go overboard. Love the first pic!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Yum!! I can't wait to use it with scrambled eggs! So delicious!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

I didn't either! I'm excited to try it in recipes!

Pragyan said... [Reply to comment]

I recently posted a Ghee post - check it out! It's very easy to make at home - store bought is expensive in comparison! :) http://sorisha.blogspot.com

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

I've never thought about making it at home! Great idea! I feel like the rest of the bottle went to waste since I didn't use it all up!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...