Chickpeas Roasting On an Open Fire ...


Monday, December 20 -


Well, almost.

I woke up every day last week thinking it was Friday. I wasn't as confused when I finally had my morning coffee. Now that it's really cold, it's harder for me to wake up in the mornings, get going quickly, and I'm no longer trying to give up coffee.

I've also had Christmas songs stuck in my head all week. Especially a certain little jingle about fires, roasting, and chestnuts. It dawned on me that I have no clue what chestnuts taste like. I should probably try them at least once.

It's that time of year where I wish I could drink hot apple cider every day and top hot coco with those adorable mini marshmallows. I'm feeling sentimental about the upcoming holidays and have been craving warm comfort foods. I wanted a jazzed up snack, and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas did just the trick to fill my craving.  I skipped the open fire and roasted these tasty little chickpeas in the oven. They are flavorful and fabulous and cheap.

Skeptical about leftovers? Yea, I was too. But then I reheated and devoured the leftovers ...

Some cumin seeds and cayenne pepper.

This is a picture of 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper and a 1/2 tablespoon of cumin seeds. The spices are next to each other in a small pile on white plate.

Some chickpeas.

This is a picture of raw canned chickpeas.  They are in a square bowl and it is the corner of the bowl.

 Some roasted deliciousness.

This is a picture of spicy roasted chickpeas. The roasted chickpeas are darker in color and you can still see the whole cumin seeds.
This is a picture of spicy roasted chickpeas. The roasted chickpeas are darker in color and you can still see the whole cumin seeds.

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredients, Serves 2-4
   1 can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
   1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
   1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
   kosher salt to taste
   3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
   1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
   2. Mix chickpeas, cayenne, cumin seeds, and kosher salt in a bowl to combine.
   3. Poor olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet (I used a 9 inch glass pie pan, it was perfect!).
   4. Place oil lined dish in the oven until hot (roughly 3-4 minutes).
   5. Place chickpea mixture on the hot oil and spread into a single layer.
   6. Bake until chickpeas are crisp. The recipe says 10-12 minutes, however, I left them in for about 14 minutes.
   7. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chickpeas to a paper towel to cool slightly.

Recipe from Everyday Food.




3 comments:

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

That's a great idea to put them on salads!! They are so addictive!

Fresh and Foodie said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for sharing this recipe on my blog! Cumin SEEDS -- awesome idea. You also did yours at a higher temp than I did, so I'll give that a shot next time. Thank you!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Of course!! Can't wait to read more of your recipes and share blog posts! :)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...