What's New on DebaRooRoo?


Wednesday, November 10 -


So I admit, I'm kind of a dork when it comes to blogging. I get way, and I mean way, to excited about all things blog related. Excited about other people's posts and excited about my own posts. You keep me inspired to work out, cook, and to encourage creativity in the world.

I also get way to excited about playing with colors and designs on my blog. My project this week was to add sharing functionality to my blog. After googling quite a bit, testing different options, and editing the HTML I found some really easy ways to accomplish this and wanted to share what I learned.

First, the twitter button gadgets have been broken on blogger. So I grabbed my own small twitter button (check it out! next to the subscription button) and added the HTML to a one of my gadgets.
Issue: I wanted to access my twitter page from the button without leaving my blog or having to use the back button to return to my blog.
Solution: To have a link open in a new window, all you need to do is add the highlighted section below to the link (don't forget that space in front of target):
<a href="http://debarooroo.blogspot.com/" target="_blank"></a>
Note: HTML for buttons will include a link that triggers what the button is supposed to do. Search for "href" to help find it.
Second, I want my readers to be able to "like" posts and have it connected with Facebook.
Issue: There are lots of options out there on the web for this one. Originally I added a couple different styles to test and realized they were just general likes for my blog, not the specific post they appeared on. Even creating a "like" button in Facebook creates a general like and not a post specific like.
Solution: I ended up editing some code. Add the code below to your blog HTML after <data:post.body/> to create post specific likes. It will look like my like button at the end of my post (like it? hehe).
 <br /><iframe allowTransparency='true' expr:src='&quot;http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=&quot;               + data:post.url               + &quot;&amp;layout=standard&amp;width=530&amp;height=20&amp;action=like&amp;&quot;              + &quot;colorscheme=light&quot;' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' style='border:none; overflow:hidden; width:530px; height:20px'/>

Hopefully this helps and saves you some time 
... now enough shop talk, it's pretty photo time!



I found and read lots info, however, these are the references that came through for me in the end! Pop-Up Windows, Facebook Like Scripts



3 comments:

Andrea Marie V. said... [Reply to comment]

awesome tips there! I've been trying to get that facebook "like" button on my blog. My compy is being crazy right now, so I'll definitely check back and try again tomorrow. Thanks for posting!!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

So glad it helps!!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...