Thanksgiving Pumpkin Spice Bread


Friday, November 26 -


Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

The bf and I always eat dinner with both families and after eating dinner at one house, we literally hop in the car and head over to the other house. Thankfully the families are only about 10 minutes apart making a dual dinner possible. I'm the only vegetarian on both sides and our moms are incredibly sweet to go out of their way and make some delicious vegetarian dishes. Let's just say by the end of the night we were stuffed but I love the family time.

Last Thanksgiving I made Pumpkin Spice Bread for the first time and brought a loaf to each house (the recipe makes 2 loaves, how perfect is that?). I decided to make it again this year possibly starting a tradition of my own. The bread is really moist and has great flavor. It tastes delicious on its own but I couldn't help myself and made a spiced cream cheese icing. Might as well go all out for the holidays, right?

This is a picture of the whole loaf of pumpkin spice bread. The loaf is on a wood cutting board with light shining on it.
This is a picture of the pumpkin spice bread sliced with the cream cheese frosting on the side.

Pumpkin Spice Bread
   Notes: I used room temperature eggs and slightly less sugar. Also, it's great with one can's worth of pumpkin which is just shy of 2 cups, no need to buy a second can. I can never seem to remember to buy toothpicks, so I used spaghetti noodles to test if the bread was done!

This bread tastes even better the next day. Make it the day before and wrap it in plastic wrap overnight to deepen the flavors.

Spiced Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients
   8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
   1/2 stick butter, room temperature
   2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
   2 teaspoons vanilla
   3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
   1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
   1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
   1. Beat cream cheese and butter together.
   2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat to combine.

Notes: This makes enough to split between the two loaves. This might sound a little crazy, but this icing tastes awesome on wheat thins. Can't tell you what made me try it ... but you should!

Making this icing last year was pretty comical. I ignored the whole room temperature part and beat it completely by hand with a fork. I think I might have actually got an arm work out. This year I wised up and really let the ingredients get to room temperature and my life was a million times easier with this handy little hand mixer.

This is a picture icing covered whisks from a hand held mixer. Making homemade icing with a hand held mixer is so much easier than by hand with a fork.


A glimpse into Thanksgiving at my parent's house.

Sister Jamie before we almost lost the icing to gravity.


Mom enjoying pumpkin bread!
Brother James and my Uncle George watching football.
Sister Jamie and my nephew Liam.
Jamie and Susan.
My Dad.

Adam and I! :) Photo by Susan.




    5 comments:

    Brujurox said... [Reply to comment]

    I want to lick the spoon! Fun to see pics of the familia;)

    DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

    We missed you! But looks like you had an awesome Thanksgiving!

    DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

    Thank you Megan!! You too :)

    DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

    Thank you Megan! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving :)

    Heather (Where's the Beach) said... [Reply to comment]

    That bread looks so tasty. Love all the family pictures!

    Post a Comment

    I love to hear from you!!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...