Sweet and Sour (and Spicy!) Balti Tofu


Monday, November 8 -


Cooking new types of food can be really intimidating. What are the spices like? Can I make it? Where do I buy the ingredients? Will I like it? That's how I've felt about all the fabulous Indian recipes I'd come across lately. That is until I received a quick Indian dish tutorial from my sis Judy and her encouragement to venture to the Indian mart for spices.

I am learning that I love to make new dishes and appreciate the variety in my kitchen. It is incredible the access we have to a variety of flavors, and spices from around the world. I want to keep on trying new things ... because I can.

In all seriousness, this Balti tofu is awesome and really easy. Make it for a friend and leave them in awe of your cooking talents. They never need to know how simple it was ... give yourself that moment to shine.

Prefer meat? Make it with chicken instead (notes below).

Mix the Balti sauce.


Cook with browned tofu for an AWESOME dish.


Sweet and Sour (and Spicy!) Balti Tofu
Ingredients, Serves 2
   1 package extra firm tofu, cubed
   vegetable oil
   2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
   2 tablespoons cream
   2/3 cups water
   2 fresh green chilies, chopped (optional, had both ways and both are fab!)

Sauce Ingredients
   3 tablespoons tomato paste
   2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
   1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
   1 teaspoon Indian chili powder (check your local Indian store!)
   1 teaspoon garlic puree (or about 1 tablespoon chopped garlic)
   2 tablespoons mango chutney (this brand is SO good!)
   1 teaspoon salt
   1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions
   1. Mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
   2. Heat a little vegetable oil in a pan and lightly brown the tofu on one side for 2-3
   minutes. Flip and brown the other side for 2-3 minutes before removing and
   setting aside.
   3. Heat about 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan, add the sauce, and bring to a
   gentle boil stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
   4. Add the water and combine before adding cooked tofu. Let cook for about 2-3
   minutes.
   5. Add the cream, chilies, and cilantro and heat through before serving.

Notes: I froze than pressed my thawed tofu to remove the extra water (check out why). This dish should be named Spicy/Sweet/Sour Balti Tofu because it definitely has a substantial kick to it! I served it with garlic naan (comes frozen and is really yummy). I bought my naan at the Indian store, but apparently Trader Joe's carries their own.

For those who prefer chicken, it's pretty much the same deal to make this dish. Cube and brown 1 lb of chicken until it is slightly under cooked and then set aside. When you add the chicken back to the sauce, just make sure you cook for about 5 minutes or so to cook the meat all the way through.

Recipe slightly adapted from The Complete Book of Indian Cooking (thanks Judy!).

On a side note, seriously tofu press, you rock! I pressed half a block of tofu over night and look at the difference between the two halves!!







3 comments:

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

Looks like it came out great:) Plain soymilk or plain soymilk creamer may be OK. Almond milk will make it too sweet:)

Ailvee Verzosa said... [Reply to comment]

omg! i really love eating tofu... so healthy... i would try cooking this one soon...

Drssameena said... [Reply to comment]

hi,

The balti tofu looks lovely...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...