Lime Lentil Soup over Rice


Monday, November 29 -


I bought this awesome cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison, almost 1 year ago because of its rave reviews.

A year later ... I have a confession to make!

This is officially the first recipe I've tried from it. I thought buying the book would kick my butt into gear to learn and to cook more, but in the end, it's my blog that held me accountable.

So where to start with the book? I checked out all my original bookmarks and decided to try the Red Lentil Soup with Lime and rename it Lime Lentil Soup over Rice. I couldn't find red lentils anywhere and after going to two grocery stores I gave up. I settled with regular lentils and don't know if red lentils are just that hard to find or if the stores were low on stock because of Thanksgiving. I agree with the original recipe that it's best over rice to give it extra depth and texture, otherwise the soup is a little thin on its own.

The flavor is mild, not spicy at all, and is surprisingly addictive. Right before you serve you add a spoonful of yogurt to the soup making it nice and creamy. As with most soups, this tastes even better the second and third day and is a very cheap way to feed a crowd.

The recipe directions might seem long at first, but this is actually really easy to make.

Soup and rice meet.


Yogurt joins the party.


And although you might not be the prettiest soup, 
you are yummy combination.



Lime Lentil Soup over Rice
Ingredients, Serves 4-6
   1 1/2 to 2 cups basmati rice
   3-4 limes
   1 cup Greek yogurt
   2 cups (roughly) chopped spinach

Soup Base
   2 cups lentils
   1 tablespoon turmeric
   1 tablespoon salt
   1 tablespoon butter
   10 cups water 

Onion Mixture
   2 tablespoons butter
   1 large onion, finely diced, roughly 2 cups
   2 teaspoons ground cumin
   1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds (or 1 teaspoon ground mustard) 
   1 cup chopped cilantro

Directions
   1. Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
   2. Combine soup base ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft and falling apart. If you have an immersion blender, puree for a smoother soup.
   3. While the soup base is coming to a boil and the rice is cooking, warm a skillet over medium-low heat and melt the butter. Add all the onion mixture ingredients expect for the cilantro and cook on low heat until the lentils are finished or for approximately 15 minutes.
   4. Add the cilantro to the onion mixture and saute for 1 minute before adding the mixture to the pureed soup.
   5. Add the juice of 2 limes to the soup and taste before adding more lime juice. The soup should have a slight tartness to it and you should be able to taste the lime. I ended up using 3 limes and slicing up the 4th lime for garnish and for an extra squeeze or two.
   6. Add a little extra butter to the pan and once bubbly, add the spinach and some salt and cook until wilted.
   7. Add a scoop of rice to a bowl, top with lentils, a spoonful of yogurt and some spinach.
   8. Mix and enjoy :).
 
Notes: With the leftovers, I added the remaining spinach to the soup and stored combined. I made very small adaptations to the recipe and the real credit goes to Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone ... hope you enjoy!


     


1 comments:

Suzanne Collier said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds great! I have actually never cooked lentils, but this sounds very easy! I will have to give it a try!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...