Chicken Tikka Time


Tuesday, November 2 -


While in Ann Arbor last weekend, Judy spoiled us with some homemade Indian dishes and inspired me to try my hand at cooking Indian food.

After settling back home from the trip, I found a small local Indian grocery mart and picked up some essential spices and garlic naan to recreate the dishes. The spices are cheaper at an Indian grocery store and so vibrant and colorful.

 
Also impressed by their tofu press, I treated myself to the gadget. Typically, I drain tofu by wrapping it in paper towels and leaving it under heavy bowls. This helped make the tofu "meatier", but let me tell you, the press really does the trick and brings tofu to the next level. Once the press gets here, I'll introduce you to an awesome tofu dish.

But for now, it's Chicken Tikka time. This lemon yogurt dish was devoured by the gentleman over the weekend and was a must make at home meal for the boyfriend. Since he is crazy busy with grad. school, cooking has to take the back burner in his life (no pun intended ;) hehe). Now enter the girlfriend who is learning to cook.

I have to admit, this feels weird to post a meat only version of a dish! Other than a quick taste of the cooked sauce (incredible!! m.u.s.t. m.a.k.e. t.of.u. v.e.r.s.i.o.n.), I didn't have one bite of my post! I promise it's certified delicious and really simple to make.

Pretty little marinade ingredients.


You mix together so well.


 You hung out with the chicken overnight
and created a delicious meal.


Chicken Tikka
Ingredients
   1 lb chicken breast, cubed
   1 tbsp oil 

    Marinade
   1 tsp ginger pulp
   1 tsp garlic pulp
   1 tsp chili powder (Indian chili powder, see below)
   1/4 tsp turmeric powder
   1 tsp salt
   2/3 cup plain yogurt (used one individual yogurt, just shy of 2/3 cups and worked
   out well)
   4 tbsp lemon juice (about 1.5 lemons)
   1 tbsp chopped cilantro   

Directions
   1. Mix together all the marinade ingredients and stir to combine.
   2. Add chicken and marinate overnight (or for at least two hours).
   3. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with oil.
   4. Broil for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Flip chicken halfway
   through. 

Notes: I served it with garlic naan and rice. Thanks to Judy for sending me the recipe from her The Complete Book of Indian Cooking!



Something I've learned.

When Indian dishes call for chili powder, it is not traditional American chili powder.  Indian chili powder is lighter in color and slightly sweeter. Fortunately, this isn't a lesson I had to learn on my own. Rather, Judy told me a tale of a big Indian dish she made with American chili powder before she realized there was a difference. After one bite, she had to toss the whole thing because it was so bad! I made sure to grab the Indian chili powder.




5 comments:

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Aw thank you so much!! That is soo sweet! I left a comment on your blog and right back at you! Your blog is awesome :).

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

I had such a good teacher! :)

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

I LOVE Chana Masala! Hope you enjoy :)

simplylifeblog.com said... [Reply to comment]

wow! Nice work! This looks great!

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks! I can't wait to make the tofu version!!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...