Sloppy Josephs for Everyone


Sunday, August 22 -


I've always loved tofu (even in my meat eating days!).  Many people recommend freezing the tofu to create a "meatier" texture and to aid marinades.  For some reason, freezing tofu seemed overwhelming to me and slightly intimidating so I just never did it.  Then I thought why not? With a little planning, it really can't be that hard to do.  And it wasn't!  After draining the tofu for 30 mins (wrap in several layers of paper towels, place in a bowl with something heavy on top - I used a can of diced tomatoes), I wrapped it up in tin foil and plastic bag and popped it in the freezer.  Knowing I wanted to make a tofu dish this weekend, I switched it to the fridge mid week and it was ready in time to make Tofu Sloppy Joes (Check out the first official pic on the recipe!).

 As is, I give the recipe 4 out of 5 stars.  With a couple minor changes, the recipe was really good and I will be making it again!

Changes to the recipe:
- added 1 tbsp cornstarch to the chili powder
- grated 4 cloves of garlic
- added 2-3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup brown sugar to the tomato mixture

Here's some of the process for draining and crumbling up the tofu and making the sloppy joes!







Adam officially has TWO more night shifts and then he is completely done with the year!  With his first class for graduate school this Wednesday, there's not much time to celebrate the end of shiftwork.  To help him get through this week, I made him a meat version of the sloppy joes.  Here's a pic (I was amazed at how true to form the tofu version looked).




5 comments:

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

Yummy. Going to make these for me in October;) Tell Adam good luck at his first day of classes and not to forget his lunchbox.

RooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

Hahaha, I will tell him you said so. Maybe if you take care of freezing the tofu before hand ;)

Judy said... [Reply to comment]

Lol. OK. By the way, you should join food buzz!

RooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

I'll look into it! Not too familiar with it - u like it?

DebaRooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

I froze a serving of the tofu sloppy joes to see how they'd do. I'm pleased to say they froze really well and actually were a tad bit spicer when thawed.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...