Delicious Quinoa Greek Salad


Sunday, August 29 -


In order to get more protein in my diet, I'm making an effort to cook quinoa more frequently. Quiona is very similar in texture to couscous and is packed with protein.  Just like making rice, I cook mine in the rice cooker. Toasting it at the beginning of the cooking process gives it a rich nutty flavor.  

What I made.

This weekend, I made a quinoa greek salad.  The recipe is easy and to make it vegetarian, I substituted veggie stock. This is a good solid recipe for the nights you want something simple.

 




 Something I've learned.

Seeing that the recipe called for 1/4 cup lemon juice, I bought two regular sized lemons hoping they would provide sufficient juice. I was in luck, now I know 1.5 lemons yields 1/4 cup juice.


Something new I'm trying.  

A friend of mine often buys peppers on sale and pops them in the freezer.  She takes them out as she needs them to add to stir frys, spaghetti, etc.  Taking her advice, I sliced the leftover green and red peppers (with some extra yellow ones too) and sealed them in a freezer Ziploc bag.  Eventually I'm going to try my hand at homemade fajitas and will report back on the veggies!




3 comments:

JugiBuji said... [Reply to comment]

Me likey the new design. Would usually like the food, but you know....

Heather Iacobacci-Miller said... [Reply to comment]

Freezing the peppers is such a great way to save all the peppers at the end of the season too (that's when my plants tend to go nuts finally). It also works for hot pepper - we freeze the whole them whole too and drop them in chili and after they've cooked, pull them out and finely dice and drop back in. Super simple.

RooRoo said... [Reply to comment]

That's a great idea to add them to chili! In the past I've tried to eat them up as snacks but am excited to buy them while they are cheap and freeze them for a wider range of uses.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...